Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Irish Truths

A friend sent me the most beautiful Irish blessing in a photo video today, with gorgeous images of the famous Emerald Isle that my ancestors called ‘home’.  Being more than three quarters Irish, I have a natural affinity for all things Irish and have always loved the lyricism in well known Irish blessings and comical Irish toasts.  One particular part of this lovely, albeit lengthy, blessing struck me as particularly true today –

“May you understand the strength of God in a thunderstorm in winter.” 

Wow!  How beautiful is that?  And how true!  Isn’t it incredible how thunderstorms can grip and fascinate us?  With fear, with majesty, with respect, with awe? As the skies begin to dance and the earth makes primal music, the entire world seems to rumba in a sexy, powerful game of domination.  And yes, we see/feel/taste/hear/smell the power of our Creator, as life grows very still, capturing our attention on a magic carpet ride – our universal welcome mat to the glory of the present moment.

Thunderstorms usually inspire me to find the nearest pen and let the words tumble out as freely as the raindrops fall from the sky.  One particular thunderstorm poem (below) is very sexy and intriguing.  Dare I equate the words sexy and God?  I confess there is something very alluring and yes, sexy about power.  And finding oneself face to face with the power of the heavens does indeed stir my soul with admiration and glory and yes, desire. Perhaps any real contact with the Divine ignites desire, because on some level, we are all seeking that spark, that rejuvenation, that wake-up call which proves to us that we are really alive and vibrant and radiating a powerful energy of our own.  That energy is divinity itself.

undulating pelts of rain
prickle my skin
rinsing my cheeks
with Mother Nature’s tears
compassion
sister-sweet embrace of wrapping winds
dark gray skies
the Universe mourns beside me
as I sit, drenched
with thoughts of you
sweating in this warm, wet, tiered shower
tall, alone
Thunder
piercing with its songs of you
Lightning echoes
flashing brightly, opening my soul
in reverence of you
delaying traffic jams of honking thoughts
stilling me
with a smiling image
soaked
dying to drown into you
to melt
and flow like run-off waters
to the Mighty River of you

surprised
ill-prepared
no umbrella for the weight of you
puddles of desire
make me wet for you
tornadoes rumble down below
as I swim
inside an ocean of want
of you


(and later, the poem concludes with)

sprinkles slowly taper off
dousing gently
the terrifying flame of you
as spots of sun
surreptitiously shine through
I return to me
and a dry, normal world
void of
you



©2011 DOS

The excerpts of all of the poems presented in this blog are copyright protected, as each and every poem has been copyrighted.   For a complete copy of any poem, feel free to email your request to: duvallosteennyc@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. Visceral -- power in each word, line breaks reflect a tangible flow of raw energy. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Raw energy is the essence of a thunderstorm. Perfect description!

      Delete